Friday, April 17, 2015

ESPN's Britt McHenry Gets Off Easy



ESPN's Britt McHenry has just become the top candidate for the worst human being in the United States. She is seen here going off on a clerk at what I think is a parking lot attendant or tow truck attendant of some sort. McHenry is a reporter for ESPN and now fits the stereotype of the thin, blonde, pretty, stuck-up girl that everyone hates. McHenry said some pretty degrading things to this lady. McHenry talks about how she has a degree and the clerk does not, she goes on and makes a crack about the attendant's weight. McHenry went on to talk about how she is on television, like that makes her special or even important. She berated this employee in typical snobby fashion. It's true that we don't know what was said before all of this happened, but I can't imagine it would warrant this kind of treatment from someone who is "educated." I'm sure that Northwestern University is very proud to call he one of their "educated alums."

McHenry received a week suspension from ESPN. I don't know if she still gets paid or not, but it seems like a very light punishment for treating another human being so harshly. I understand that ESPN can do whatever they want because it's their company, but is this the kind of person that you want representing your company? If I was running a television company and I had an employee get caught on video doing this, I would probably fire them. I can't see what it is that she brings to ESPN that is worth keeping her on and risking bad PR with fans of ESPN. McHenry will be remembered for this episode for a very long time, and will probably be remembered for this more than her reporting. I honestly have never heard of her until I heard about this earlier today. It's kind of funny that she finds herself an important television personality, and I don't remember seeing her before.

I'm sure there will be more information coming out about this incident in the future, but right now it paints McHenry in a very ugly light. I think McHenry has lost the respect from many of her followers and fans, and rightfully so. I can see many people deciding not to watch whatever show McHenry is on in the future, which will hurt ESPN's ratings, which will hurt their advertising revenue. If they were smart, and they are, they would find a way to dismiss Britt McHenry.


Be sure to subscribe to the blog. For more news and predictions you can:
Like the Facebook page at www.facebook.com/sportscognition or,
Follow me on Twitter @SportsCogBlog

No comments:

Post a Comment